Sunday, June 29, 2014

Deconstructed Fajita Casserole

I love Mexican food just as much as the next person.  I especially love it from certain restaurants.  One of my favorites that is close enough to home to get it at least twice a year is Chuy's in Houston, TX.  By far, the best authentic Mexican food I have ever had was at Mi Tierra's in San Antonio, TX right off of the Riverwalk.  A little farther in distance, so I'll stick to Chuy's.

Chuy's has a famous house dip known as the Creamy Jalapeno Rancj dip.  I found a copycat recipe online, and I must say, it is pretty close to the real McCoy.  I make it for him every now and then, which gives me an excuse to make fajitas or enchiladas to accompany this yummy dip/sauce.

After a recent trip to HEB in Beaumont, I grilled a wonderful skirt steak for fajitas.  Though I enjoy them, I'm not big on them once they've been reheated.  I didn't want to waste the meat since a pound of beef is more than a gallon of gas these days.  So, I dreamt up this casserole idea.  It is pretty much a fajita deconstructed, if there is even such as thing.  Here's the low down on the dish:

Base Sauce:
1-can tomato sauce
1-medium tomato, diced
1/4 sweet onion, diced
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning

Sauté the onion until clear.  Add in diced tomato and tomato sauce.  Mix in taco seasoning, simmer over low heat for fifteen minutes, or until diced tomato is cooked through.  Set aside.

For the casserole you will need:
Enchilada rice, recipe follows
1/2 can refried beans
grilled fajita skirt steak (I ran it through the food processor until it was the consistency of ground meat)
12 tortillas (I used butter tortillas, do I need to explain why?)
Cheese for topping (I alternated pepper jack and cheddar slices, it's what was in the fridge)
Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno dip, recipe follows

This casserole is a layered casserole much like a lasagna.  Begin by oiling a  casserole dish that is      9 x 11.  Spoon the base sauce into the bottom of the pan.  Add four tortillas on top of the base sauce to create the second layer.  You may wish to overlap two tortillas and cut the other two to fill the gaps along the top and sides to ensure the bottom layer completely covers the pan. 

Next, spoon the base sauce over the tortillas.  Add 1/2 of a can of refried beans to the top of the base sauce and spread evenly.  Add 1/2 of the meat mixture and spread.  Next, layer one half of the rice mixture.  Cover the rice with four tortillas.  Spread the base sauce, top with meat, then rice.  Cover this layer with the last four tortillas.  Spread the remainder of the meat mixture on top and cover with the remainder of the base sauce. 

Cover dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 45 minutes.  Remove from the oven, uncover and add cheese to the top of the casserole.  Place back into the oven for 15 minutes uncovered. 



Serve with Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Ranch sauce and fresh guacamole.  Also couldn't hurt to enjoy with a whole fruit Margarita!

Enchilada Rice:
3 cups cooked rice
1 can red enchilada sauce
1/2 onion diced and cooked until translucent
1 can Rotel

Mix rice, enchilada sauce, onion, and rotel in large mixing bowl.  Set aside.


Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Ranch Dip

1 cup mayonnaise
2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup jalapenos from a jar (I use Trappey's Hot Jalapenos)
1 cup green tomatillo sauce (Herdez's Salsa Verde is an excellent choice)
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 packets dry ranch dressing mix

Place all ingredients except for cilantro into a blender and blend on high until peppers are completely chopped and dressing mix is fully incorporated.  Stop the blender, add in cilantro.  Process for ten seconds on medium to high speed.  (I don't like putting in the cilantro until the end.  I find processing it for too long gives the dip an off-flavor)
 
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment