Friday, July 16, 2010

Caprese Pie and a Corona


1 pie crust
1 teaspoon softned butter
2 - 3 medium tomatoes, thickly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups mozzarella
1/2 cup parmasan
1/2 cup mayonnaise
ground red pepper to taste
salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grab a drink. It has probably been a long day.

Poke a few holes in the bottom of the pie crust with a fork to allow air to escape while baking. Next, rub the bottom of the pie crust with the softned butter and bake for 5 minutes. After baking for 5 minutes, remove the pie crust and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.

While the pie crust is cooling, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, red pepper, and garlic powder.
After the pie crust has cooled, place a single layer of tomatoes in the crust. Next, lightly salt the tomatoes and sprinkle the chopped basil. Using a spatula, spread your cheese mixture over the tomatoes completely covering them. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Dish is best served warm.

2 comments:

  1. So, I made the Caprese Pie, and, IT WAS A HUGE HIT! My mom and dad were in town. I made it as a side dish to some quick spaghetti. We actually came home from New Orleans that day and I was EXHAUSTED! It came together so quickly that I can honestly say it's one of those thirty-minute meal remixes. I followed your recipe and added some extra basil. I also used more cheese, because you can never have enough cheese. It was great! I think I will try to use Roma tomatoes next time. The vine ripe tomatoes that I used were a little watery; which may be because I used a mandolin to cut them. I wanted to get some uniform slices so that it would cook evenly. I think I sliced them a little too thin. In any case, it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also presliced my tomatoes and placed them on a paper towel while I prepared everything else. I bet it is better with extra cheese but that could also be part of the added moisture. Cheese has a lot of water in it you can tent the pie with tin foil and bump the cooking time alittle to evaporate the extra moisture.

    ReplyDelete